Plastic pellet incident at Va. school ends in expulsion, assault charges - Kevin Sieff - Washington Post - Feb 01, 2011
14 year old expelled for using a "pea-shooter" - something every boy in North America used in "the good ol' days" when boys were simply that - boys. Today they are criminals and expelled criminals at that. . . But, hey! Zero tolerance keeps us safe doesn't it? We don't exactly know safe from whom. But then, who cares. We're safe. . . . . Right?
Remember. . . : The decision makers, in this situation, are those who have been mandated to offer our children a sane and healthy education. . .
Quotes from this article:
- "School officials expelled him for possession and use of a weapon, and they called a deputy sheriff to the scene. . . "
- he was charged with three counts of misdemeanor assault
- The federal Gun-Free Schools Act mandates that schools expel students who take weapons, including hand guns, explosive devices and projectile weapons, to school.
- "We have an obligation to protect the students in our building from others who pose a threat to the over-all safe learning environment," the principal of the school states.
- Civil liberty advocates state : "School officials have developed a very dangerous mind-set that allows virtually no freedom for students, while at the same time criminalizing childish behavior."
- The boy in question will be cleared of the misdemeanor criminal charges if he participates in a year-long diversion program. . . . . . .